One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gardein's Savory Stuffed Turk'y with Gravy

Everything has been so hectic around here that I didn't get my thanksgiving menu together until just yesterday. Thankfully, I wrote a book with an entire Thanksgiving section so it was as easy as turning to page 171 and picking out what I wanted to make. I decided to test out a couple new recipes for my main dish on Thanksgiving but wanted to have a quick and easy back up plan that I only needed to heat and serve just in case. I spotted Gardein Savory Stuffed Turk'y with Gravy in the Whole Foods refrigerated section and decided to give it a go. The turk'y was a little pricey coming in at around $7.50 for two but when I looked on the back and saw that one little stuffed turk'y was only 270 calories and had 22 grams of protein I was sold.

It's been pretty touch and go with me on gardein's stuffed products so I decided to try one of the stuffed turk'ys today just in case they weren't very appetizing. I popped it in the convection oven for 30 minutes while I baked candied yams in the conventional oven and put a started making a little cranberry sauce on the stovetop. 25 minute later the yams were cooked to perfection, the cranberry sauce was cooling and I was pulling the savory stuffed turk'y out the oven. I wish I could capture how delicious it looked straight out the oven as I drizzled the gravy over it but my camera is broken and my phone doesn't take the best pictures in the world. This turk'y is indescribably good! I could kick myself for not buying more of these while I was at the store and there's no way I'm going to brave the Thanksgiving crowd's to go back to Whole Foods and get another package. However, this item is seasonal so as soon as the crowd's die down I'm heading back out and grabbing up at least 4 packs of these before they're gone. From looking on the back of the package apparently these turk'ys are supposed to be frozen but my Whole Foods had them in the refrigerated section so look for them in both places.

3 comments:

  1. I had these today, too! They were $6.99 at the WF here. I thought they were delicious (haven't tried the gravy--I made my own before reading the package.) Last week we tried the marinara ones (same Gardein breaded protein, stuffed with marinara & Daiya) & Ryan said they were delicious. Those were cheaper--$4.99 for two. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im going to have to try these. What is the texture like. I am finding that alot of these fake meats I don't like because of the texture.

    I tried the Gimme Lean Sausage and its pretty good. Next time I am going to cook it a lil bit longer because I like my sausage a lil firmer and crunch through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved qloved loved! Even my meat eating husband thought these were delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...