One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Friday, April 17, 2009

BBQ Tempeh Hoagies with Chipotle Mayo (Made with new Tempeh-Tations)


Although I love Lightlife’s traditional tempeh when it comes to their flavored varieties like "fakin bacon" I haven't been so pleased. Naturally, I was a bit of a skeptic when I decided to try their new, multi-flavored ready to eat tempeh called Tempeh-tations.

Lightlife's Tempeh-tations come in three different flavors Classic BBQ, Ginger Teriyaki and Zesty Lemon. They are all organic and come presliced into little cubes. As soon as I saw the BBQ flavor my mind went straight to making hoagies. I had a couple chipotle peppers left from making my Wilted Kale Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing and decided it was time to make a BBQ Hoagie with chipotle mayo. I have to say that it was love at first bite. I was surprised how spot on the BBQ flavor was! These truly are "ready to eat" and cut my cooking time down considerably. I highly recommend giving these BBQ tempeh-tations a try. My only complaint is that I wish they came in a bigger size. My little 6 ounce package was gone in no time!

BBQ Tempeh Hoagies with Chipotle Mayo
Makes 2 Hoagies

1 package BBQ Tempeh-tations
¼ cup sliced white onions
½ cup sliced bell pepper, any color
2 hoagie rolls, lightly toasted
1 ½ tablespoons canola oil

Chipotle Mayo:
½ cup vegan mayonnaise (I prefer vegannaise)
1 teaspoon vegan worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
1 chiptole pepper in adobo sauce
¼ teaspoon dried oregano

In a medium saucepan warm canola oil over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add BBQ Tempeh-tations and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until tempeh is warmed through, stirring often.

While tempeh is cooking, add all chipotle mayo ingredients to a mini-food processor and process until smooth.

Spread desired amount of chipotle mayo on each side of the hoagie roll and fill with BBQ tempeh-tations mixture. Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Alicia!

    I have been "eyeing" these for some time but did not work up the nerve to try them! I have been disappointed with a lot of tempeh lately. I'm glad you're our guinea pig - I will try them this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came here to check out your so unhealthy recipe that I read about in soul veggie. Been trying to figure out what to do with tempeh, as I am a little afraid of it after a disaster when I first tried it! This sounds tasty! If anyone wanted to cut out some of the fat, just put a little less vegenaise (which is already so much better for you than real mayo), and stir fry the veggies in less oil, and more water. Common sense- no need to get all ugly! Nice to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much DJ Karma. I just checked back over at the site that blasted my recipe for not being healthy enough and wow, you are right he sure did get ugly! He completely edited by comments and twisted my words but I'm so happy that it led you to my blog. Like I said in the comments on the other site the chipotle mayo makes way more than you'll need. At most you'll use 1-2 tablespoon worth per hoagie. I'm still trying to figure out where to use the rest of it so for now it's sitting in my fridge waiting for a new recipe to go with.

    Also, if you wanted to just cut out the chiptole mayo all together you could replace it with BBQ sauce if you like. But it looks like you know your way around a recipe pretty well. I look forward to hearing how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe actually sounds fantastic. By the way, I'm a healthy, and completely UN-fat-phobic vegan and I like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I recently purchased these and when I opened them up, they looked like they had mold growing on them. Did yours have a blackish/green film on some pieces? Is it supposed to look like that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey AMJ,

    Tempeh naturally gets green, black and brown spots as it ages. I'm not sure if these are the spots you are referring to or if it is something else. My advice would be to go check out regular, unseasoned tempeh and see if the black, brown, or green spots on them are consistent with the one's on your seasoned tempeh cubes and make your decision from there. Also, the Lightlife's Tempeh package has a little blurb on it about the coloration of tempeh that would probably be helpful to you as well.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...