One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (and the best croissant sandwich ever)

Growing up I used to love walking to the local Safeway and getting a turkey croissant sandwich. When I went vegetarian I change to a veggie croissant sandwich but when I went vegan I stopped heading to Safeway and just accepted the fact that croissants and vegans just don’t mix. But then one day I checked the back of the label on Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, only to discover that they are in fact vegan!

I immediately bought two packages and went home to start making the sandwiches of my childhood. Here are my recommendations for the best croissant sandwich ever:

Vegannaise
Stoneground Mustard
Brussel/Alfalfa/Broccoli Sprouts
Thinly sliced tomatoes
Avocado
Banana Peppers
Bell Peppers
Red Onion

But these crescent rolls are great for more than just sandwiches, you can serve them as dinner rolls, pigs in a blanket or as I like to call them pups in a blanket with vegan hot dogs. Or use them to make a breakfast sandwich: cut them in half and add tofu scramble or mini crustless quiche with a little extra nutritional yeast sprinkled on top or slice of vegan cheese.

11 comments:

  1. not to burst your bubble, but you may want to take a look at this:

    http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8877

    kindly,
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yeah - gotta love the dough boy.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thanks Alicia! I haven't had a croissant in over 20 years! I am totally going to try this recipe this week. I'm thinking about adding some Tofurky slices too.

    BTW - I really like your blog and have added you to my favorite blogs at www.21stCenturyVegetarians/blog, as well as to my Vegetarian Resources page at www.21stCenturyVegetarians.com/links. Keep up the great work! I love learning about and sharing great vegan options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pillsbury anything - check the ingredients there is a whole lot of stuff in there that I dont want in my body but... have you tried Amy's vegan breakfast pockets?? Yummm!!!I think I love Amy's anything. Except for the Southern Comfort Food Meal thingy. I would not recommend that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Main thing I don't want in my body - SALT! Check Amy's label - salt up the wazoo in all her foods! High blood pressure here we come.

      Delete
  5. I agree that Pillsbury anything doesn't read like a list of whole foods but when you're looking for frosting, croissants, etc. you're hardly looking for a health food. I usually buy them once or twice a year when I see them on sale for $1. I have tried a lot of the Amy's brand and it's been hit or miss somethings I absolutely love and some things are completely inedible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fry's/Kroger store brand has the same ingredients, so you can get the store-brand Croissants for much cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Out of curiousity has anyone checked with Pillsbury? Perhaps all the Sturm und Drang is for naught?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am concerned about the sugar (bone char) and red dye #40. Have you checked that they use vegan ingredients on these?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just in case anyone gets here the same way I did, Pillsbury has responded to folks and said that the datem (and everything else) is not sourced from animals... http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=34556.0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making them yourself guarantees they are vegan.

    http://www.holycowvegan.net/2009/12/crescent-rolls.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...