One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hormel Vegetarian Chili

I'm very fortunate to live in Atlanta. Sure we don't have a vegan mini-mall but there are a plethora of Whole Foods, I belong to a vegetarian co-op and there are farmer's markets all over the place. Rarely do I have to venture to a conventional grocery store to get all the vegan goodness I need.

But there is a Kroger about a mile from me and a Publix about 3 miles away. So occasionally I run out of brown sugar or something and I find myself at my local conventional grocer. Thankfully all the grocery stores near me have a special section for vegetarians but just in case your grocery store doesn't, don't worry. There are still a ton of quick and easy options available for you that require nothing more than a microwave to have a quick and nutritious meal.

Case in point, Hormel Vegetarian Chili with Beans. It's on the aisle with all the other beans. Near the baked beans (they've got vegetarian versions of those too). They are 100% vegan and the ingredient list actually isn't that scary. It also contains no preservatives which is great especially for a canned meal. It takes about 2-3 minutes to heat up in the microwave or 5 minutes on the stove top. I like to have mine with toasted corn tortillas and green beans for a complete meal. You can also heat it and throw it in a thermos for a great lunch on the go.

1 cup of this chili gives you 10 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein for only 190 calories! Plus you can usually find it for about $1. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

8 comments:

  1. I used to shop at Kroger when I lived in SW Virginia. They had a surprisingly good selection of vegan products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live on this stuff sometimes. You should try vegan Frito Pie...
    Corn chips, 'cheese' and this chili....with onions and Jalepenos!
    Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked my hubby to pick up some chili at Kroger's for me. I assumed he'd go to the natural food section but he brought home the Hormel. My first thought, was, "Oh no!" but it's really good, and low fat. It's actually now one of my favorite canned chilis. BTW, I found the post by searching vegblogsearch.com for frito pie... ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this plus fritos equals go-to drunk vegan food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tried this for the first time tonight. Quite impressive, especially the texture. Needed to add a lot of seasoning (spice), but that's no problem. I'm not vegan, so I added a little dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt on top. Even better would be that (vegan) tofu sour cream that every burrito place seems to have but no grocery store seems to stock...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for the ingredients... I'll keep looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. try it over sweet potato french fries with some shredded soy cheese and sweet onions sprinkled on top. Healthy junk food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hormel is known for its rather cruel treatment of pigs, which is why I'd rather shy away from it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...