One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Jessica Seinfeld's Aloha Chicken Kebabs - VEGANIZED

It seems like every house wife in America is a buzz about Jessica Seinfeld's new cookbook Deceptively Delicious. Celebrity cookbooks aren't really my thing and I've been spending so much time working on my own cookbook that I vowed to take a break from my cookbook buying addiction to just concentrate on my own recipes. But...bored in an airport I ran across this book, thumbed through it and realized that although it is a book for omni's a lot of the recipes can be easily veganized with just a little soy milk or seitan.

The recipe that first caught my eye is for Aloha Chicken Kebabs. I veganized the recipe easily with chicken flavored seitan. The recipe alone lacked that "aloha" flavor I was looking for so I created a sweet pineapple-sweet potato sauce out of the left over puree's I had. The combination is perfect. I also left out the kebab part of this recipe, it really wasn't necessary but if you happen to have some wooden skewers hanging around feel free to add them. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Veganized Aloha "Chicken" Kebabs
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 cup pineapple puree
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 egg equivalent egg replacer ( i used Ener-g)
1 pound chicken flavored seitan (I used the recipe from La Dolce Vegan), cut into strips
1/4 cup canola/olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit)
In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the flaxseed meal. Set aside
In a second wide, shallow bowl, combine the sweet potato and pineapple purees, soy sauce, egg replacer and coconut. Stir to combine and set next to the breadcrumbs.
Dip the seitan into the puree mixture and then roll it in the bread crumbs until completely coated.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with oil.
Add the seitain in a single layer and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side. The breadcrumbs brown quickly so check often.
Remove seitan from the oil and place on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for an additional 20-30 minutes depending on desired texture.
Alicia's Pineapple-Sweet Potato Sauce
1/2 cup pineapple puree
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup plain soy milk
In a blender or food processor add all ingredients except soy milk until completely combined.
Add soy milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
Either dip the aloha "chicken" into the sauce or drizzle a little sauce over each piece of "chicken"

2 comments:

  1. I don't get it, I thought Jerry was an avowed vegetarian yet his wife writes a non-veg cookbook? My spidey sense senses a conflict there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that rumor as well. I don't know where these rumors come from because on Oprah he said he loves her chicken and their kids love her chicken and she loves her chicken so they obviously eat meat. So obviously no one in that house is a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...